TOXIC CHEMICALS AND PLANTS
One day in the grocery store, I began to casually speak to a salesperson who was shelving stock. The conversation inevitably went to cats and she said she just didn't understand it, all her cats died within a year of coming to live with her. I asked if she let them out and she replied she did. I then asked if her husband put weed killer on the grass and she also said "Of Course". I shook my head and said that "perhaps that's your killer?" I walked away. Now this lady was a nice person but just didn't put her cat's eating grass together with those infrequent times the husband put down chemical. When you own a cat, you have to really think hard about what you are inadvertently exposing you and your cat to. Thus, I feel this info is very important. If you can, please print this out and keep handy, it may save your cat's life someday. Make the whole family read it.
That Are Highly Hazardous to Cats:
ANTIFREEZE: Tastes sweet, commonly found on garage floor, by the time your cat shows symptoms, it's too late.
PINE CLEANING PRODUCTS: Highly toxic, so is sap from Christmas trees (also tinsel can lodge in intestinal track, so get rid of it)
The rest are equally as important:
Wow, so much for better living through better chemistry! To clean the floors at our cattery, I use a 1 part bleach (Clorox is best) solution to 12 parts water plus a little dish detergent and a lot of elbow grease. It always smells good at my house and does not endanger anyone. Also, check your wastepaper baskets for pieces of foil, medicine bottle stickers, anything and everything. Also very dangerous: anything with STRING on it.
That's it for now. Hope this information helps you make your home safe and happy for everyone.